The Thurne Dkye Drainage Mill is located at the head of the staithe in the small broadland village of Thurne. Built in 1820 by England’s of Ludham the mills sails were uprated to patent sails with a fantail in 1835. In 1919 the cap of mill was blown off in strong winds.
In 1926 a steam turbine and shed were built and put into operation until 1936 when the Mill ceased to work. For many years the mill stood derelict until it was rescued from destruction by Bob Morse who eventually restored with the help of the Norfolk Windmills Trust.
This winter photo collection was taken in early February just before sunset giving the surrounding reeds that golden colour.